Artists Choose their Favorites: Julie Ford Oliver

New Mexico artist Julie Ford Oliver has chosen her two favorite paintings from 2013:

Nest and Eggs  oil on canvas 11"x14"  2013
"Nest and Eggs" was the final painting in a series of 31 nests painted over three years. My nest collection is quite large and I have a genuine fascination and admiration for avian architecture, which made it very easy to become totally involved with the series. I painted most of them for my own pleasure with no thought of showing them publiclyand had to be persuaded to agree to an exhibit. I was happy I did as the response was overwhelming.
This was done as a demo at the gallery to celebrate the opening.  I had to work quickly and was rather pleased with the detail managed in such a short time.
Closet Aprons  oil on canvas  8"x6" 2013
"Closet Aprons" was one of those paintings which are painted in the head many times
before actually putting the brush to canvas.  The aprons hang by the closet door in my studio.  It has rather an abstract feel which I rather like.
What was important for me last year? 
I would say the video on my fracturing technique (made for Daily Paintworks) has been an amazing experience - still selling strongly a year later. I have artists contact me with stories of their excitement and adventures with the technique and it pleases me so much. 
You can see more of Julie Ford Oliver's work at her blog and her website, and be sure to check out last year's post on her favorite paintings of 2012.

The current theme is Artists Who Blog- Favorites of 2013. Chosen artists have sent in one or two of their favorite paintings from 2013, along with some words about the creation of the work, or about general new directions and goals. There will be a new artist highlighted each day for twenty five days, so check back often.

Comments

Popular Posts